My daughter just celebrated her seventh birthday. We got her an American Girl Doll that she has been wanting forever. She has the knock-off, My Generation Doll, from Target, but still wanted the doll that looked just like her. I knew I wanted to make a bed for her doll, but when I saw this end table at the curb, I knew I could reconfigure it into a bunk bed for both babies. My goal was to spend less then $5.00 on all supplies, including the bedding. I was able to accomplish this and had everything in my work shop or linen closet, with the exception of four L-brackets at 79 cents each! Bargain!
I unscrewed the entire table. I then cut the legs down, used the smaller section for the feet on the bed, and the longer sections for the posts between the top and bottom bunk.
The top posts are the spindles that separated the two table tops from each other on the end table. They are topped off with wooded cabinet knobs. The head and foot boards are scrap pieces of lumber and trim from other projects on I had on hand.
Once is was all reassembled, I spray painted it white to match her bedroom.
For the mattress, my daughter had a princess couch, the kind that is foam and folds up to a couch or out for a bed. It had seen its better days, but the foam inside was perfect. I cut it to size and used some duct tape to piece it together. With an old mattress protector, I wrapped it like a package and secured with duct tape. The bottom sheet is a pillow case, the blanket is baby flannel, and the quilt is a pillow sham, all in storage, from my linen closet. I made the pillow from scrap cotton fabric and batting.
I think it turned out great...but the best part is that my daughter is thrilled her babies have a place to sleep!
reuse. repurpose. reinvent
This project was featured on Roadkill Rescues.
I am linking to Today's Creative Blog.